Czech Literature of the 2nd half of the 19th Century
Study Cycle: 1
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Šnytová Jana
A cultural-historical overview of events around 1848, after the dualistic arrangement of 1867, to the end of the 19th century. Literary-historical topics and selection of literary texts for discussion:
1. Development of artistic and literary movements in Czech literature in the years 1848–1918.
2. The first literary generation of Czech literature – authors around the almanac Máj (J. Neruda, V. Hálek).
3. Varieties of fantasy literature in Czech prose: romaneto (J. Arbes), Mr. Brouček's travels through space and time (S. Čech), so-called lived images (J. Zeyer).
4. Czech parnasist poetry.
5. Dispute over the direction of the development of Czech literature between the cosmopolitan (so-called lumírovci; J. Vrchlický) and the national school (so-called ruchovci; E. Krásnohorská).
6. Rural and historical realism.
7. Forms of naturalism in Czech prose.
8. Appearance of modernism in the 1890s and other art directions, which accompanied it (symbolism, decadence, impressionism).
9. Generation of anarchist rebels (so-called buřiči).
10. Pre-war avant-garde, expressionism.